RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. is pleased to announce the launch of the RICOH THETA in Japan, the world’s first imaging device that encapsulates fully spherical scenes surrounding the photographer with a single shutter release.*
The RICOH THETA features a proprietary ultra-small twin-lens folded optical system that captures the scene around, above and below the device for an unprecedented, fully spherical image. Its slim, lightweight (approx. 95 grams) design makes it a perfect handheld, go-anywhere imaging device.
The RICOH THETA synchronizes with smartphones, so captured images can be immediately transmitted via Wi-Fi and viewed on the smartphone screen using a dedicated free application. This application also allows images to be pinched, swiped or rotated to edit size, shape and composition on the screen. In addition, the user can upload the images to the dedicated website (theta360.com) to share on social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr, as well as on Microsoft’s Photosynth®.
At launch time, the RICOH THETA will be compatible with iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 models running iOS 6.0 or later, as well as the iPhone 5s and 5c. RICOH THETA, a dedicated application for iPhone, can be downloaded from the App Store. Android™ smartphone compatibility is expected by the end of 2013.
The RICOH THETA allows users to capture, explore and share their creativity and unique visual experiences with people around the world using unconventional, fully spherical images. Its simple operation makes these benefits available to everyone, regardless of age or photographic skills.
* As a mass-produced, consumer product capable of capturing the scene around, above and below the device in a fully spherical image (as of October 2013, based on RICOH IMAGING research).
1.Simple, user-friendly operation
- ・Captures a fully spherical image surrounding the photographer with a single shutter release.
- ・ Automatically corrects for camera tilt, to allow the user to shoot an image from any position without precise framing.
2. Position data recording
- ・Records position data on captured images, using the GPS function of an iPhone synchronized wirelessly with the RICOH THETA.
3. Dedicated free applications
RICOH THETA for iPhone
- ・Downloadable from the App Store.
- ・Transmits captured images to the RICOH THETA for iPhone application installed on an iPhone, via Wi-Fi synchronization.
- ・Provides a remote shutter-release function to release the shutter from a distance.
- ・Allows the viewing of captured images on a smartphone or personal computer using their URLs uploaded to the dedicated website (theta360.com), even without installing an application.
RICOH THETA for Windows®/Mac
- ・Downloadable from the dedicated website (theta360.com). (Adobe® AIR® is required to install this application.)
- ・Allows the user to transfer fully spherical images captured by the RICOH THETA to a personal computer using the accompanying USB cable, then to save and view them on the computer using the RICOH THETA for Windows®/Mac application.
- ・Allows the user to share images on Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr, just like the iPhone application.
- ・Provides RICOH THETA firmware updates.
|Shooting distance||Approximately 10cm to infinity (from front of lens)|
|Exposure compensation||Manual (-2.0 to +2.0EV 1/3EV Step)|
|ISO sensitivity||Automatic ISO 100~1600|
|Shutter speed||Automatic 1/8000~1/7.5 second|
|Memory||Internal, approximately 4GB|
|Storage capacity||Approximately 1,200 images (subject to shooting conditions)|
|Power||Internal lithium ion battery, rechargeable via USB cable|
|Battery life||200 captures per full charge (with Wi-Fi® on, transmitting images at 30-second intervals; duration varies with usage conditions)|
|Image file format||JPEG (Exif Ver2.3) DCF2.0-compliant|
|External interface||Micro-USB: USB 2.0|
|Dimensions (LxWxD)||42 mm (approx.1.65 inches) x 129 mm (approx. 5.08 inches) x 22.8 mm (approx. 0.9 inches)|
Depth 17.4 mm/approx. 0.69 inches without lenses
|Weight||Approx. 95 grams (approx. 3.35 ounces)|
|Operating temperatures||0 to 40 degrees Celsius (32 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit)|
|Operating humidity||Under 90%|
|Storage temperatures||-20 to 60 degrees Celsius (-4 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit)|
- Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
- Facebook is a trademark of Facebook, Inc.
- Twitter is a trademark of Twitter, Inc.
- Tumblr is a trademark of Tumblr, Inc.
- Windows and Photosynth are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other ountries.
- Mac, iPhone and App Store are trademark of Apple Inc.
- Adobe and AIR are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
- App Store and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
- IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license.
- Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
- All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.